Easy Messy Bun Tutorial | 1 Minute Top Knot How-To
How to Make a Messy Bun
The messy bun is a simple up-do hairstyle that you can do yourself at home, and this article can show you how! No matter how you throw your messy bun together, the end result should make you feel comfortable and glamorous.
Preparing to Create Your Messy Bun
Choose the perfect styling products.The following is a quick list of things you may already have around your home. Even if you don't have these things, don't worry, the messy bun can be easily created with just your fingers and a rubber-band. It is also easy enough to find all of the following items at your local 24-hour drug store. If you are thinking of creating a messy bun for a more important event like a wedding or prom you can plan ahead and find a store that specializes in carrying hair care products and accessories.
- For the quick and simple messy bun up-do, you will need about 5 minutes, your fingers, and a rubber-band.
- If you have more time, gather a soft brush, wide-tooth comb and an elastic ponytail holder. Preferably an elastic holder without a metal clasp to reduce the chance of hair damage.
- Hair works best for a messy bun if it is two days after initial washing.
Create a more sophisticated look.Select a light-weight mousse that will allow your hair to be easily pliable yet still appear soft and natural. For extra body, select a mousse that says it includes a volumizing agent. This will be displayed on the mousse bottle. If you have very soft and fine hair or want your messy bun up-do to last for a long time, pick out a hairspray that you like to ensure your messy bun stays intact.
- For the most natural look, choose a hair spray with a micro-fine mist for minimal build up that you can apply and reapply without washing your hair.
- For a more extreme edgy look, choose a hair spray that offers massive volume without stiffness.
- If you have extremely soft or freshly washed hair, you can also experiment with dry shampoo or hair salt spray to add texture. (optional)
Add some originality, glamour or sophistication to your messy bun design.Purchase some plain bobby pins, decorative flowers, bling gem-studded hair pins, small decorative hair clips, or similar hair items. When searching for such items remember to keep them delicate and classy. (optional)
Creating a Simple Messy Bun
Create a quick, simple, elegant look.Use your fingers to comb through your hair and bring it to the back or side of your head into a ponytail. Have your rubber-band within reach, or have your elastic holder placed on the wrist you're gathering your hair with. As you bring your hair all together, wrap the rubber-band around the whole of the hair until it feels secure but not too tight.
Bring the bun up.Next, you can either spin your ponytail into a single strip and then wrap it around the rubber-band and stick the end back under the rubber-band; or when you are forming the initial ponytail, with the last wrap of the rubber-band, intentionally don't pull the hair all the way through - leaving a large bouncy loop of hair.
- Pull the loop of hair further through the elastic ponytail holder to make the bun bigger and/or allow some of the strands to fall through for the ultimate messy look.
- Grasp the sides of the bun and widen the bun's radius by gently pulling the edges out to the sides. Selectively tug on the center of the loop to give it more of a U shape.
- Pull the ends sticking through the underside of the elastic to the left and right so that they’re more flared out against your head. Tuck any unwanted fallen strands back into the elastic. If desired, wrap a few loose strands around the elastic and pin them with a bobby pin.
Put the bun at different levels.For a higher bun, flip your hair upside-down and gather it in your hands. This will increase your hair’s volume and help eliminate bumps. For a lower bun, gather your hair in the middle of your head or closer to the nape of your neck. The ponytail can be as high or low as you want it to be. Note that your bun will sit where you secure your ponytail (ex: high ponytail means a high bun).
Creating a Messy Bun Using Alternative Methods
Create a higher-end look with a more sophisticated style.Comb your hair with your wide-tooth comb and soft brush to free your hair of tangles and hidden hair accessories (ex: clips, bobby hands, etc.).
- Apply two pumps of mousse to your hair starting at your roots and working the product to your ends.
- Back brush/comb your hair to tease it and create more volume. Brush the front of your hair down over your forehead. Then back-brush it by placing the brush in the middle of the hair and gently brushing back toward the roots; do this until the desired level of teasing is achieved.
- Repeat with the sides of your hair by lifting your hair and back-brushing again.
Get rid of bumps.Gather your hair into a smooth ponytail, smoothing out the bumps with your free hand. If smoothing unwanted bumps with your hand doesn’t work, use your wide-toothed comb. Hold your hair in place with one hand and secure it into a bun with the other.
Make a ballerina bun.Wrap your elastic around your hair once or twice to make a ponytail. Coil your hair around the base of your ponytail as if you were putting it in a ballerina bun. Flatten the bun to your head and secure it with either the same or an additional elastic (or by pinning it with bobby pins; when done well, this helps the look a lot).
Tease the bun hair.Use the elastic to secure a ponytail, hold the ponytail up behind you, and tease the ponytail by down brushing the hair toward the elastic holder. Spray with hairspray, if desired, then loop your hair once using a second elastic. Feed the loose ends of the hair through the loop, and then secure the entire looped bun with the remaining elastic. Allow the ends to poke out through a messy loop.
Work with longer hair.For those with hair 1-2 inches past your shoulders, loop your hair and wrap an elastic holder around it once. Feed the remaining hair through the first loop to create a second loop. Make sure to hold onto the ends of your hair so that they don’t slide through and undo the second loop. (Note that your first loop may get tighter as you pull your hair through to make a second.) Wrap the remaining elastic over both loops to secure them into a loose knot.
- Alternatively, if your hair is quite long, wrap it around the base of your pony, then secure it loosely with a second elastic. Loop your hair and wrap an elastic around it once.
Finish the look.When you’re done, gently smooth your hair back over the crown of your head, and brush the edges of your hair to look less messy. Apply a thin layer of hair spray, if you plan on wearing your chic, messy bun for several hours or in harsh conditions.
Accentuating the Completed Bun (Optional)
Add more body.Run your fingers through the front of your hair to loosen it from the elastic and add body. This look creates a more classic, crown look; perfect for the office.
Add a headband (or two).Slide your favorite or outfit-complimenting headbands on your head, two inches away from your hairline. If you have blond hair, use two black headbands or darker colored headbands. If you have brown or black hair, try using white headbands or a different light colored headband.
Add decorative hair pins, clips or jewels.Adding beautiful small bling or flowers will really make your look stand out. It is important that you don't over do it. The messy bun look is one of simplicity and elegance. Adding to much will make your messy bun look gaudy and unnatural.
Find out what works best for you.Play around with your hair until you've accomplished the perfect bun. Leave out strands of hair before you pull up the majority of your hair into the ponytail. Once you have created the main bun, separate your hair into strands in the pony-tail and individually twirl them into separate strands and wrap them around the bun securing each strand with a bobby pin so that you have multiple bun strands surrounding the main bun. Pull a full wispy pieces of hair out from the front and sides of your hair for a messy, whimsical look or lightly pull the hair at the back of the bun to loosen it and let it naturally fall.
Mist your entire head with hairspray.Make sure you spray about seven to eight inches away. If you are feeling really adventurous you can purchase glitter hair spray for a stunning sprinkle of glitter and shine!
Finalize your messy bun.There are several different ways to create your messy bun masterpiece. The more you play around with your own style, the more styles you will come up with that you like for yourself. The most important part of choosing to create a messy bun is that it look natural and not over-worked or too tight. When you are finished creating your messy bun look, you should feel relaxed, glamorous and whimsical. As you learn to master the craft, you will be able to control the look so that people will think you are naturally endowed with the perfect locks!
QuestionHow can I do this quickly?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerA messy bun can be done overnight. Make a bun before you go to sleep, and you will have a "perfect" messy bun in the morning.Thanks!
QuestionWhy won't my bun stay in place even when I've used hair bands and bobby pins and hairspray?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYour hair is probably too clean. Really clean hair will always fall out of an up-do. You could try using extra strength gel or mousse or braiding the hair to get it to stay. Leave a small portion loose to wrap around the bun, if you like. French braids leading to the base of the bun can help the sides stay. Use a sock or bun base, those can help keep the hair in place.Thanks!
QuestionHow is the actual bun created? Do I twist the hair then tie it up or put it up as normal?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDefinitely twist the hair, as that is the key to a great messy bun. Otherwise, the bun will look too neat. There is a fine art to looking casually messy.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I stop my hair from sticking out when I wear it in a bun?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUse products such as mousse, hair gel, and hairspray. When your hair is wet, apply mousse all over your hair. After putting your hair in a bun, use maximum hold hair spray. You can also use a small amount of hair gel or hair wax around your hairline or wherever hair is sticking out.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if I have short hair?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you have sort hair, try take a bunch of your hair put it around the ponytail clip and hold in place as best you can. If your hair is too short, then no messy bun for you till you grow some more. Or, use a hair extension done a la messy bun style.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if my hair stays the same even overnight? (I put it in a bun and it's the same when I wake up.)wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry teasing/backcombing your hair, or even manually tugging out pieces of hair and scrunching the bun up.Thanks!
QuestionHow would you get the bun on top of your head? Would you need long hair for that?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerJust pull it all up and brush it to make it higher. Your hair will probably need to be at least shoulder-length to do this effectively. You can't make much of a bun with short hair.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I get that bushy effect?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerBy teasing your hair. You can do that by using a comb to brush your hair little by little in the opposite direction (towards your elastic).Thanks!
QuestionIt's super hard!can you make an easier way to do it?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
QuestionDo you use the same method as a normal bun?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe buns made in this article are arguably pretty 'normal' buns. Check out How to Make a Bun for an alternate method and better distinctions between different types of buns.Thanks!
Ive never tried this before. Which method is easiest for beginners?
Short Video: How to Make a Messy Bun
To make the perfect messy bun, start by putting your hair in a secure ponytail. Twist your hair from base to tip, then wrap your twisted hair around the base of your ponytail in a spiral. To secure, try tucking the tip under the hair tie, or use bobby pins to keep your bun in place. Create a messier look by running your fingers through the front of your hair or pulling some strands out so they frame your face.
- Don't comb your hair back too much when doing this. It will cause the hair to break and also cause split ends.
- If your hair is not cooperating, wet your hand and apply a little water to your hair for assistance.
- Remember, a messy bun isn't supposed to be perfect. If it looks kind of casual it's fine.
- This can easily be turned into a romantic look by softly curling the pieces of your hair to create small tendrils.
- If your bun is really loose, just add bobby pins to the front, back, and sides for extra support.
- Braid your hair at night so that it will be wavy, then in the morning (quickly) put it in a loose bun; then (if necessary) pull some of your hair out. You could put a headband or hat to finish the look, or leave it as it is.
- For soft, morning waves bun your hair after showering the night before.
- Don't pull your elastics too tight, as they can break or damage your hair.
- Be patient when backcombing your hair. Use a paddle brush for best results and time-saving efforts.
Things You'll Need
Elastic ponytail holders
- Paddle brush
- Bobby pins
- Colored headbands
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Português: , Français: , Italiano: , Deutsch: , Русский: , 中文: , Čeština: , Nederlands: , Bahasa Indonesia: , العربية: , Tiếng Việt:
The wikiHow Video Team tested these instructions during filming, and everything worked perfectly.
Jul 24, 2019
Jun 19, 2019
Jul 28, 2019
Mar 2, 2019
Aug 22, 2019
Apr 4, 2019
Video: How to: MESSY BUN 💜 Easy & Perfect | Tutorials Compilation
Thousands of Women Are Sharing Their Sexual Assault Stories In Response To Trumps Crude Comments
Vanessa Hudgens’s Dreamcatcher Headpiece Is Not OK, According to theInternet
Could Taking Aspirin Be Majorly Damaging Your Health
20 Summer Make-Up Trends
How to Lend Money to Family
How to Buy a Carbon Offset
This man drank four bottles of wine a day and lived to 107
Blake Lively Is the New Face of Gucci Première Fragrance
Cranberry Fruit Conserve
Lace dresses 2014
How to Remove Artex
How to Find Fulfilling Work
How to Know if Your Email Was Read
Easy Weeknight Meals: Mexican-Glazed Meatloaves