What is useful watermelon seeds?
Few people know that not only the flesh of the watermelon is useful, but also its seeds. Everyone is accustomed to spitting out and throwing them away, but such a product will help improve health, if properly used.
The composition of watermelon seeds includes a lot of nutrients, including proteins (slightly less than 30 grams), carbohydrates (15-16 g) and fats, the content of which in hundred grams of dried raw materials reaches 47-48 grams. Caloric value is about 560-600 calories.
Watermelon seeds contain polyunsaturated fatty acids (including beneficial omega-6), amino acids, dietary fiber, ash, sodium, iron, copper, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, manganese, calcium, vitamins PP and group B.
What is useful?
Consider all the useful properties that have watermelon seeds:
- Amino acids and protein are necessary for the human body to form and strengthen the structure of muscle fibers. For this reason, the product is useful for athletes and active people.
- Carbohydrates - is the basis of energy reserves, spent on maintaining the vital functions of the body, the brain and other important functions.
- Dietary fiber is necessary for the smooth functioning and cleansing of the gastrointestinal tract. They stimulate intestinal peristalsis and prevent constipation, remove heavy metals, toxins and slags.
- Iron is necessary to maintain the level of hemoglobin in the blood, and this substance provides the transportation of oxygen necessary for all tissues and cells of the human body.
- Regular and proper use of watermelon seeds will help keep blood pressure under control and prevent its sudden jumps. In addition, the substances in the composition strengthen the myocardium (cardiac muscle) and ensure the prevention of heart attacks.
- Antiparasitic properties have been observed: watermelon seeds are often included in the composition of agents intended to combat parasites.
- Watermelon seeds contribute to the normalization of metabolism. A good metabolism - a pledge not only a slim figure, but also the smooth operation of the endocrine and other systems.
- As part of there are vitamins of group B, which are simply necessary for the nervous system, as they strengthen its cells, ensure the maintenance of neural connections and improve the intercellular metabolism.Such effects allow to increase stress resistance and reduce excitability.
- The unsaturated fats contained here help to reduce the level of "bad" cholesterol, which forms the plaque, clog the blood vessels and provoke the development of atherosclerosis.
- Watermelon seeds are useful for people with diabetes, as they help to maintain a constant level of glucose and prevent its sharp increases.
- The composition contains the amino acid citrulline, which is synthesized by the human body and is converted to L-arginine. Such a component has not been fully studied, but it has already been widely used in sports nutrition and nontraditional treatment of sexual impotence in the male.
- Used in moderation, watermelon seeds are good for the urinary system.
- The product has a positive effect on vision, maintaining its sharpness.
How to use watermelon seeds?
You can eat seeds in fresh or thermally processed form. One way or another, they should be extracted from ripe and high-quality watermelons, preferably at the height of the ripening season.
If you want to try fresh seeds, you need to clean the raw materials from the remnants of watermelon pulp, spread out on a tray and in the fresh air dry. But do not swallow the bones as a whole, but chew them thoroughly to gain benefits. Skins, if they are easily separated, can be spit out.
Frying seeds is not difficult. It will take a teaspoon of salt, a glass of fresh seed and a quarter cup of water. Spread out the frying pan, spread the seeds and fry for about seven minutes, so that the dense rind starts to crack and crack. Then stir in the water salt and pour this solution into the frying pan. Fully evaporate the liquid, cool the seeds and eat the same as the usual sunflower.
Use in traditional medicine
Watermelon seeds can be used in traditional medicine. Here are a few recipes:
- To get rid of worms, you can prepare such a tool. Dry the seeds in the oven, grind in a coffee grinder or blender, pour ten parts of warm milk, insist an hour. A day should use at least two glasses of the drink (preferably in several meals before meals or at once the entire volume on an empty stomach), and the course lasts two weeks.
- With diabetes and high cholesterol, a decoction is useful. Crush half a cup of seeds thoroughly, fill with three glasses of hot water. Simmer this mixture for ten minutes, leave for an hour, strain and drink one glass three times a day.
- With hypertension, after each meal, you can eat a teaspoon of pre-dried and chopped seeds.
- Make an infusion: pour half a glass of finely chopped or otherwise crushed seeds with two cups of boiling water. Leave the mixture under the lid for an hour, then strain and take after meals three times or four times a day on a tablespoon.
Can it harm?
Due to the content of citrulline, watermelon seeds can be harmful. This substance, getting into the body and processed in it, is transformed with the release of a by-product - ammonia. The compound is excreted naturally along with urine, but if it is present in significant quantities, it can irritate the organs of the urinary system - the bladder and kidneys. In addition, seeds can not be used for people suffering from citrullinemia - a violation of the synthesis of the amino acid citrulline, due to failures in the cycles of formation and elimination of urea.
There are other contraindications, which include lactation, pregnancy and children under three years of age. Also, the product may cause allergies. There is always the possibility of individual hypersensitivity, especially in allergy sufferers.
Do not rush to throw away the seeds of watermelon, try to use them with health benefits!
An interesting idea: the original buildings of concrete pipes
How to use turmeric
Heated bathroom floor
How to force yourself to start working
No worse than in the garden: vegetables and greens, ideal for growing in pots
Submersible pump from the pump of a washing machine
New Year's candle and decoration to it